[WikiEN-l] "Approved" versions on Wikipedia FAQ

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 16:06:26 UTC 2006

> On 30/08/06, Andrew Lih <andrew.lih at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I think the premise of the FAQ is off in its current form. I am
> > worried by the "we" part, meaning the mythical monolithic Wikipedia
> > community. (ie. Why not make this an opportunity to show that
> > Wikipedias have their distinct culture and are at different stages of
> > development?)

> In this case because it was an immediate response to the Bill Thompson
> and Platinax articles. I was trying very hard to keep it *really
> simple* and clear because journalists don't have time to read press
> releases closely - they have to be able to get your message by
> skimming.

Further, I should note: as far as the English-language press is
concerned, all of Wikipedia and all of Wikimedia is the English
Wikipedia, at http://www.wikipedia.com/ , no matter I do my best to
say otherwise every time I speak to them ...

I made a point of mentioning the de: release versions here so as to
put across that en: may be bigger, but de: is arguably more advanced
in some ways. Other press, I try to mention local language Wikipedias,
which are usually quite small and offer an interesting contrast to the
huge Wikipedias.

- d.