[WikiEN-l] [Wikipedia-l] "Approved" versions on Wikipedia FAQ

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 15:37:40 UTC 2006

Does this make the 5 minute cut? :)

I think the premise of the FAQ is off in its current form. I am
worried by the "we" part, meaning the mythical monolithic Wikipedia
community. (ie. Why not make this an opportunity to show that
Wikipedias have their distinct culture and are at different stages of
development?)

I think the announcement should make clear:
- There has always been a desire for a better reader experience
- The larger Wikipedia communities have turned their attention from
growth to quality
- The German Wikipedia has initiated an experiment with a
"nonvandalized" and "checked" versions (nb: terminology may need to be
tweaked)
- This "potentially" may allow for a mechanism other than blunt
protection for preventing vandalism
- The greater Wikipedia community hopes to learn from this pilot project
- The English and other Wikipedias, with their own norms and cultures,
may or may not adopt the German initiatives

PS: Would be nice to have a pointer to a meta page (if it exists)
describing the German initiative. If I had not attended the Wikimania
2006 summit on the top floor of Pound Hall with Danny, Kurt, G.
Maxwell, Jimmy, Raul654, Kelly Martin, et al, I would not have known
these things. And I'm a bit concerned we're neglecting to use the wiki
to share this knowledge.

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)