[WikiEN-l] WP:LIVING and "sensitivity" again

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 19:45:27 UTC 2006

oops, meant to send to list as well

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>
Date: 29-Aug-2006 20:44
Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] WP:LIVING and "sensitivity" again
To: Sydney aka FloNight <poore5 at adelphia.net>

> I note that one of the talk page responses is that a "sensitivity"
> policy would reduce editor arguments. So would Sympathetic Point Of
> View and article forks, and that isn't a reason either.
> Perhaps I'm worrying about nothing. But it really sits wrong having that there.

I should point out also: that although the big fuss is about negative
articles being libelous, the serious *quality* problem with our pop
culture articles is that they are hagiographies. The fans are the main
people interested in those articles, and they guard them jealously.
This makes our pop culture articles *really bad*. Neil Gaiman
commented at length about this in his (widely read) blog, for example.
Our pop culture articles are rubbish, and they definitely need no more
encouragement toward a hagiographic point of view.

- d.