[WikiEN-l] Well darn, Pokemon is important after all.

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 14:35:03 UTC 2006

On 29/08/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/29/06, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Jellyfish wasn't on the list at all last night; the statistics are
> > sampling (I think) one in five thousand pageviews, so it's quite
> > likely a glitch. They've only been running for a couple of days, and
> > I'd strongly advise against treating them as reliable until at least a
> > fortnight in.
>
> The sampling period is, from my observation, constantly being
> decreased. It was 5000, then 1000, then 500, now 333. Well, I'm
> guessing just looking at what numbers have turned up at different
> times.

You can see what I believe is the sampling period by looking at
[[MediaWiki:monobook.js]]; it's currently 5000, and hasn't been lower
than 3000.

> However, I can't see why Irukandji jelly fish would be so high. It's
> not linked from anything, it's not in the news, and it's not even
> jellyfish season in Queensland. It could just be a statistical
> anomaly, or perhaps someone is deliberately messing with the stats?

I'm betting on anomaly.

> > That said... JonBenet Ramsay is interesting - it surged last night and
> > with no link from the front page. Interesting to see how quickly our
> > use (apparently) reacts to news stories. The sex-related ones - lists
> > of porn stars etc - were consistently high and are now dropping; I
> > wonder where they'll stabilise at.
>
> Yes, that trend is interesting - why did they all show up so high then
> disappear. Was it a time of day thing? More stats required!! :)
>
> I really hope we will end up with "last 24 hours" and "last 7 days" stats.

It looks like it's designed to work month-by-month - I'm not sure how
reliable the figures would be at smaller "resolutions". Best ask
Leon...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk