[WikiEN-l] Colbert on the loose

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 12:38:54 UTC 2006

On 8/29/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, the current example is trivial, but maybe we need some sort of
> organised response to these kind of attacks, which will presumably
> become more common. What if an organised group starting planting
> "George Bush is dead" all over the place or something...
>
> Steve

Then we'll revert, block the users and if they still keep coming,
semi-protect the article until the shitstorm is over. Hasn't this been
the way we've always dealt with vandals? (well, semi-protection is
new, but you get my point)

The thing to remember with these attacks is that they are very
short-lived. They're tenacious, but after a while they will get tired
of it. In a month, who will even remember the Colbert thing? This sort
of vandalism has never really been wikipedias problem, much more
dangerous is the subtle, change-a-date-to-be-a-few-days-off-style
vandalism. And we're cracking down on that too with the whole
verifiability and sourcing thing.

--Oskar