[WikiEN-l] OT gmail spam increase?

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Tue Aug 29 01:33:12 UTC 2006

On 8/28/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry to post such an incredibly lame off topic. Over the last week,
> the amount of spam getting through gmail's filters has gone up hugely
> for me. It's coming in through the 5 or so email addresses I have that
> forward to the same account in equal measure, so I can't blame one
> email address suddenly getting extra exposure. Has anyone else
> experienced like this? I was previously getting around 1 spam a day
> making it through the filter, but now it's like 10 or even more per
> day.

Mine went up drastically a month or two ago.  So far today I got about
350 in my spam folder, about 50 which were caught by my own filters
but not gmail's (ones going to old retired addresses, which I filter
and keep around for the analysis which I'll probably never get around
to), and 11 in my inbox.  Anecdotally it seems to me that some
spammers discovered that putting one or two random words in the
subject works wonders on getting through gmail's spam filter.  That's
one problem with using such a popular email service - the spammers get
to test their spam on the filters.

> Lots of it is a weird, right-justified format, all nonsense text
> (jumbled quotations from something or other) whose purpose I can't
> divine...

Just checked, and yeah, I'm getting the right-justified crap.

Anthony