[WikiEN-l] WTF Have I Missed?

dmehkeri at swi.com dmehkeri at swi.com
Mon Aug 28 14:16:48 UTC 2006

> As I recall, we were happy when the proposed mechanism had a
> ten-minute or so time out mechanism, so it didn't turn into a ''de
> facto'' anon-edits-must-be-approved rather than an anti-vandalism
> mechanism, and to assure the anon that yes, the edit would show up
> soon. The de system seems to differ from the one we discussed.

Before I saw this post, I was about to counter-propose just that: a simple
delay-to-live timer. Something similar could apply to page creation.

This happens in live TV broadcasting sometimes (I'm thinking of Don Cherry):
there's actually a few seconds delay to allow the control room to step in.

This, rather than some trust mechanism which, technical issues and objections to
unnecessary complexity and hierarchy aside, our experience suggests would very
quickly develop a long backlog for approval. AfC did, and it was only for page
creation, and there was no special trust class required to clear the backlog.

Daniel Mehkeri