[WikiEN-l] WTF Have I Missed?

Gordon Joly gordon.joly at pobox.com
Mon Aug 28 10:25:30 UTC 2006

At 10:01 +0930 28/8/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) wrote:

>Gordon Joly wrote:
>>  At 13:45 -0400 27/8/06, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>>>  On 8/27/06, Kelly Martin <kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>  [snip]
>>>   > being free of vandalism.
>>>  [snip]
>>>
>>>  Of course, 'Trusted user' is a complicated issue in and of itself.
>>>

>>  Web of trust is the basis of PGP, surely?
>>

>  > http://www.rubin.ch/pgp/weboftrust.en.html
>>
>>  http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/F.AbdulRahman/docs/pgptrust.html
>>
>  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_of_trust
>>
>>  Good enough then?
>>

>Someone will shoot me for suggesting it, but there's an
>"attack-resistant" trust metric available (primarily used by Advogato).
>We have an article at
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_resistant_trust_metric>.
>
>--
>Alphax - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Alphax
>Contributor to Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
>"We make the internet not suck" - Jimbo Wales
>Public key: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Alphax/OpenPGP

Had a look at the system, and found it was based on this observation:

<quot>
Levien observed that Google's PageRank algorithm can be understood to
be an attack resistant trust metric rather similar to that behind
Advogato.
</quot>

I then recalled Tim Ireland's work on Google Bombs.

http://www.bloggerheads.com/archives/2005/03/googlebombs_and.asp

And then I wondered how resistant to attack Google PageRank really was.

Any ideas?

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////