[WikiEN-l] WTF Have I Missed?

maru dubshinki marudubshinki at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 00:46:00 UTC 2006

> On 27/08/06, Gordon Joly <gordon.joly at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > http://news.com.com/Can+German+engineering+fix+Wikipedia/2100-1038_3-6108495.html
> > A related source.... not the BBC.
> > "We want to let anybody edit," Wales said, "but we don't want to show
> > vandalized versions."
>

> Yeah. When did Jimbo first ask for this, early 2005? People pretty
> much concurred it was a fantastic idea (logged-in editors get the live
> version, anon readers get the last-non-vandal-edit version), but it
> was considered technically rather painful indeed in the then-current
> structure of Mediawiki.
>
> If it looks workable now, that's fantastic, and should help make it a
> better no. 17 website in the world *and* a good perpetual working
> draft.
>

> - d.

As I recall, we were happy when the proposed mechanism had a
ten-minute or so time out mechanism, so it didn't turn into a ''de
facto'' anon-edits-must-be-approved rather than an anti-vandalism
mechanism, and to assure the anon that yes, the edit would show up
soon. The de system seems to differ from the one we discussed.

~maru