[WikiEN-l] WP:NPOV and images (possible policy update)

Cheney Shill halliburton_shill at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 27 17:23:01 UTC 2006

Scott Stevenson <wikinetscott at gmail.com> wrote:

>Has anyone else noticed the lack of clarity on the [[Wikipedia:Neutral point
>of view]] relative to images?
>I realize it may seem like common sense but certain editors don't seem to
>understand the NPOV equally applies to images.
>Due to this fact I've begun work on an addition to NPOV policy and I was
>wondering what others thought of it.

>Please have a look here:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Netscott/NPOV_image_policy

A separate policy page is probably not needed.  It would make an excellent addition as an example page.  NPOV already is supposed to apply to all content, that seems fairly obvious in the nutshell portion, though it may be helpful to add "images" to the "includes" list.  The only other place "images" are explicitly mentioned is in the Undue Weight section.  Mentioning it in a more visible space seems like minimal instruction creep and, I agree, apparently is needed.  Removing the examples from the nutshell portion and replacing them with "ALL content" would fix that, unless NPOV is supposed to be applied selectively to content.

I had thought that "All Wikipedia articles" covered all content, but apparently "written" is taken in the most restrictive lawyer-loop-hole sense.

~~Pro-Lick
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/User:Halliburton_Shill
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Pro-Lick
http://www.wikiality.net/index.php?title=User:Pro-Lick