[WikiEN-l] [[New anti-Semitism]] and violations of NPOV re: top image

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 03:43:46 UTC 2006

David Gerard wrote:
> On 26/08/06, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 8/25/06, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I think NPOV is pretty innovative.
>
>> Agreed... and publicly accessible revision controlled webpages.
>

> That was Ward Cunningham's ;-) (Did his do version control?)

Heck, even ours doesn't properly do version control. You can't branch,
tag, ...

Hrm. Anyone want to re-implement MediaWiki with a /real/ version control
back end?

>> Wanna take bets on which of the two will have a greater influence on
>> the world outside wikipedia a decade from now? :)
>

> I think NPOV is more powerful than is usually appreciated. To harp on
> slightly, it's quite the powerful innovation in writing about
> Scientology, for example.

I wonder, what has made Wikipedia so popular? That we're NPOV, or that
we're a wiki? For some reason, people seem to think that "Wikipedia" is
a generic term to describe a wiki ("They have their own Wikipedia"), or
that "Wiki" is our name ("Please let me post this on Wiki"), or something...