[WikiEN-l] More slogans

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Aug 25 17:39:18 UTC 2006

Steve Bennett wrote:

>Hi all,
> I was wondering if we wanted to try and get some kind of one-sentence
>slogan/summary/motto/mantra to explain exactly how authoritative
>Wikipedia is and isn't, and how it should and should not be used. Two
>thoughts that came to mind:
>
>- Wikipedia is a tertiary source. (Not a primary source, not really
>even a secondary source - we discuss and collate primary sources).
>
>- Wikipedia is the first word on everything and the last word on
>nothing. (We want to be the first place everyone comes to look up
>*anything*, but we don't claim to be the final word on *anything*,
>because we're always based on other sources which have more detail
>than we do).

I like the second one.  It can even be more effective without the
parenthetical explanation.  Some of the best flowers grow in manure, so
you don't want to be digging around them too much.

Given past experience around here, I think the first one would produce
endless arguments about the difference between primary, secondary and
tertiary sources.  Some of the pointed minds we encounter would be best
employed as paper spikes on somebody's desk.

Ec