[WikiEN-l] Blocking anon page creation was an experiment,

dmehkeri at swi.com dmehkeri at swi.com
Fri Aug 25 17:09:53 UTC 2006

> No, you have to wait 4 days to create the new article anyway.

I do believe you can create immediately. You're maybe thinking of
semi-protection, or page moving. (Really, try logging out.)

Speaking of which, I understand the page move restriction on new accounts was a
temporary measure. Specifically, to protect against a certain person on wheels.
This person seems to have moved on, no?

> > On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if it is precisely these obstacles
> > which also cuts down on the nonsense.

> Damn straight. :) Seriously, what gets posted at AfC is sludge. And
> that's from the newbie editors who actually made the effort to wade
> their way through the process and make a submission!
>
> The only benefit in allowing anons to create articles is in stroking
> their egos long enough for them to become good editors (while deleting
> their creation in the meantime). We should attempt to quantify that
> benefit.

I assume this is based on the idea that new accounts can't create articles. If
that were true, it would be a very different story.

As it is, I don't see this as a choice between allowing or disallowing "anon"
page creation at all, since account creation is unrestricted. It's more of a
question of "how many clicks must an unregistered person go through to create a
page, and how obvious should we make it which clicks they should make?"

Regards,
Daniel Mehkeri