[WikiEN-l] Blocking anon page creation was an experiment, wasn't it?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 12:01:15 UTC 2006

On 8/23/06, dmehkeri at swi.com <dmehkeri at swi.com> wrote:

> have wound up either lost in AfC, or correctly submitting to AfC which then
> promptly gets ignored. And I don't think I was being unreasonably dense. Even if

Promptly ignoring all AfC submissions is a very efficient, high
pay-off strategy that I would recommend to anyone.

> I guess that the CORRECT choice from the article-not-found page is actually
> "create an account", at the end of it I wind up back at the main page. The
> obvious thing to do here is to back up in the browser history, but this doesn't
> help, unless I guess that I have to back up one PAST the article-not-found page
> to the original red-link page and click it again! An unlikely guess.

No, you have to wait 4 days to create the new article anyway.

> On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if it is precisely these obstacles
> which also cuts down on the nonsense.

Damn straight. :) Seriously, what gets posted at AfC is sludge. And
that's from the newbie editors who actually made the effort to wade
their way through the process and make a submission!

The only benefit in allowing anons to create articles is in stroking
their egos long enough for them to become good editors (while deleting
their creation in the meantime). We should attempt to quantify that
benefit.

Steve