[WikiEN-l] Good writers always welcome (was A tidy way of handling "popular culture" references)

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Fri Aug 25 11:10:32 UTC 2006

G'day Stephen,

> On 25 Aug 2006, at 11:39, Andrew Gray wrote:
>
>>On 25/08/06, Mark Gallagher <m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Good *edits* are always welcome?
>>
>>"Improvements are..."?
>
> I think this is too introvert. Is the strapline for editors or
> outsiders?

Fair enough.  I'm too wrapped up in wiki-world now --- I can't remember
if "edits" makes sense to non-Wikipedians anymore!

> How about something along a slightly different track:
> "Internet wisdom made accessible"

"You're the man now, dog!"

Internet "wisdom" will be the death of us all.  Wikipedia, also, is not
necessarily confined to the Internet.  Wikipedia is an encyclopaedia,
not a website; wiki and hypertext is a tool, not a core principle.  It
may be a *site* on the *web* using *hypertext*, but ...

I like Andrew's idea of "improve", but "Improvements are always welcome"
doesn't sound much better than "Good contributions", to me.  How does
"Please help us improve" sound?

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"