[WikiEN-l] Good writers always welcome (was A tidy way of handling "popular culture" references) (first post)

Martin Peeks martin at peeks2.fsworld.co.uk
Thu Aug 24 16:51:40 UTC 2006

I feel that "Good writers always welcome" may deter some people who perhaps
would feel that their contributions wouldn't be good enough - or worse still
make people think that there is a selection process for editors.  It sounds
like a job advertisement, or an advert for membership to an exclusive club,
where all that you say and do will be closely scrutinised - now if that's
what Wikipedia has become, then it's a very sad thing - which we definitely
should not be telling prospective editors - we need to encourage them to
make that first contrib. - and give them helpful feedback where they make
mistakes - not discourage them at the first hurdle.