[WikiEN-l] Idealism

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 20:08:21 UTC 2006

On 24/08/06, stevertigo <vertigosteve at yahoo.com> wrote:

> policy. A canonical example of this was IAR, which was basically a loophole which
> basically claimed itself to be above even NPOV and CIVIL.
> Re-examining that policy led to its deprecation, and I believe other policies,
> in order to be taken seriously need to be put in a formal place within the policy
> heirarchy.

This is carefully, comprehensively wrong. IAR has been ratified as
policy directly by Jimbo, as a shortcut when process is tying people
up in red tape. It doesn't supersede NPOV or CIVIL. Its "deprecation"
was an attempt at shouting it down by process fetishists.

To be taken seriously, a policy needs to (a) obviously help the actual
task (b) not be a pain in the arse in practice.

- d.