[WikiEN-l] Your Wikimania presentation ("Does Consensus Scale?")

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 21:36:39 UTC 2006

On 8/23/06, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> In the sense that if you vote on every single issue you wind up
> with...AfD...an enormous waste of time on the part of everyone.

I think the problem with AfD being a vote is more to do with the fact
that interested parties can now begin "competing" to get "their way".
I presume the idea originally was to use "consensus" to work out what
the community really wanted for a given article. Sort of "hey Bill,
should we keep this? Oh, I dunno, ask Mary" kind of thing. If no one
has a stake, and no one is deliberately trying to "win", then it
works.

As soon as people start voting "for" or "against" things - as opposed
to simply having their opinion gauged - then the whole thing breaks
down.

Steve