[WikiEN-l] Good writers always welcome (was A tidy way of handling "popular culture" references)

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 19:41:43 UTC 2006

> > Follow De's lead and retire the text that says 'anyone can edit' in
> > favor of 'Good writers always welcome'?
>

> OH YES PLEASE.

Is it time? Maybe. "Anyone can edit" is really starting to carry a
stigma with it. Instead of the intended meaning of "You can help" it's
being interpreted as "Idiots are editing".

I would prefer a bit more thought before plunging into "Good writers
always welcome" though. Two major flaws for me are that we don't need
"good writers" - people adding references, copyediting, updating
figures, etc are not "writers" as such; also, even Stephen King is not
welcome if he doesn't work within NPOV, WP:V and WP:NOR...

I'm not a great sloganist, but something more like "Everyone can help"
or "Contribute today" etc would be truer.

Steve