[WikiEN-l] perjorative terms under [[WP:LIVING]] in article lead

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Aug 23 17:23:39 UTC 2006

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com wrote:

>"David Gerard" wrote
>

>>I think even strong supporters of [[David Icke]]
>>would have a hard time seriously arguing the point, for example.
>>

>It was once pointed out to me that, pedantically speaking, pejorative implies position B in an A/B pair, where the denotation is roughly the same but the connotation is that B is worse. Or something.  Well, it wasn't explained like that, but 'pejorative' once was like a worse type of comparative.

It's not just a matter of degrees, but of characterizations.  If it's
just a matter of comparatives then why not just use A?  Why do you need
to include allusion and innuendo to circumvent verifiability?

>In that light, anyway, I think 'conspiracy theorist' is not necessarily a pejorative.

"Not necessarily" logically only implies that there is at least one
instance where the claim is not pejorative.  On those terms I agree with
you.  But rather than isolate those few claims where it does not apply
you choose to imply that it is applicable to all.

>It applies to anyone who postulates a (successful, hidden) conspiracy. Would 'cartel theorist' be a bad thing to call someone who postulates cartels? All those non-Stratfordian Shakespeare theorists postulate unlikely, hidden things; but accept labels saying that they think conventional literary history is just wrong.

By slight-of-hand you have projected the practice of these other
theorists of multiple cartels and literatures onto the person who
postulates a single theory.  This is indeed an argument that may be
common among conspiracy theorists.  You also use the word "postulate"
which is stronger than the simple "support".  That they have
"postulated" also needs to be verifiable.  It's also important to
distinguish between "conspiracy theory" which applies ad rem, and
"conspiracy theorist" which applies ad hominem.

>I think the pejorative forms of 'conspiracy theorist' include 'barking conspiracy theorist', 'anti-Masonic nutter and conspiracy theorist' and so on.

Almost the entire range of conspiracy theorists is also a subset of the
pejorative forms.

Ec