[WikiEN-l] Date vandalism

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 04:39:56 UTC 2006

There are a lot of drive-by commentless date changes. Much (but not
all of them) are vandalism.  They are often difficult to fact check,
and these days with so much vandalism reverted by bots, I'm worried
that even more date changes are being missed.

I believe this is one of the most serious and shameful areas of
factual error on Wikipedia, although perhaps it is not the most urgent
nor the easiest to improve on...

An example:
Tonight I reverted a date vandalism to [[Pioneer plaque]] which was
made over a year ago
(http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Pioneer_plaque&diff=14242706&oldid=13186287).

In that case, it would appear that the edits of a good user hid the bad diff.

Does anyone have any good ideas kicking around in their heads on how
to improve this situation... I've thought of some things but I'd like
to collect some ideas.