[WikiEN-l] More about PR firms

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 20:25:20 UTC 2006

On 22/08/06, Sydney aka FloNight <poore5 at adelphia.net> wrote:

> They bill the customers and then move on to a new company name, leaving businesses angry at us for not putting their article on Wikipedia.
> I think this type of illegal activity is a real possibility and is another reason that we should ban PR firms from our site. With this policy we will not be caught up in the illegal activity.

I wouldn't think we'd be held liable for someone else acting
unethically in such a manner. And Wikipedia has always tended to wait
until there's an actual problem before locking things down.

(On the other current topic, anon article creation vs
Seigenthaler-style incidents, I think WP:LIVING, more active quality
patrolling and particularly the hard work of the Living Biographies
Project has done much more to deal with such problems.)

- d.