[WikiEN-l] Blocking anon page creation was an experiment, wasn't it?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 12:15:23 UTC 2006

On 8/21/06, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
> My support for the whole endeavour, for one. The appearance of
> professionalism, for another. This thing looks like it was just a
> knee-jerk reaction to bad publicity.

There's no doubt, it *was* a knee-jerk reaction to bad publicity, but
not a bad one. Calling it an experiment was a mistake, since everyone
now expects introduction, method, results, analysis, conclusion, in
that order. However, we haven't had any more Seigenthalers, and
there's certainly no sign that anything has become dramatically worse.
Maybe Wikipedia could have been "even better" than it is now, for the
same time period? We could have been up to 1.6 million articles? Who
knows.

Steve