[WikiEN-l] More about PR firms

Sheldon Rampton sheldon at prwatch.org
Tue Aug 22 05:24:28 UTC 2006

Thanks, Erik, for giving me a heads-up that this discussion is
happening.

And Erik Moeller <eloquence at gmail.com> replied:

> My take on it is that if we push PR industries to far to the outside,
> they will just do their work clandestinely. This will damage
> Wikipedia's reputation far more if it becomes known, especially when
> an article that has 200+ revisions was started and carefully groomed
> by a paid propagandist.

I'm not sure how this discussion originated, but I think Erik has a
point. It sounds like the proposed restriction on PR firms is a
special case of Wikipedia's general rule against editing articles
about oneself or one's own organization, in which PR firms are seen
as agents editing on behalf of their clients. The issue of "editing
articles about yourself" has always been tricky, in part because it
exposes a paradox in Wikipedia's editorial policy:

(1) Editing articles about oneself is strongly discouraged, if not
outright prohibited; yet

(2) Anonymous editing is allowed, which makes it difficult if not
impossible to enforce the policy against self-editing. (In fact, the
policy against self-editing creates an INCENTIVE to edit anonymously
as a means of evading the restriction.)

I realize that Wikipedia's existing policies have a lot of history
and inertia behind them, but I have long felt that the policy against
self-editing is problematic. I think it should be revised to the
following:

Editing an article about yourself or your client is permitted, under
certain conditions:
-- CREATING articles about yourself or your client is not allowed,
only editing of existing articles.
-- Self-editing is allowed if limited to adding or correcting
noncontroversial facts. For example, if the article about me gives an
incorrect date of birth, I should be allowed to correct it.
-- People should not self-edit when dealing with controversial or
disputed facts or interpretations. Any such disputes should be
addressed on the talk page and left to others to resolve, and can be
submitted to arbitration if they are not satisfactorily resolved.
-- People who wish to edit an article about themselves or their
client are strongly encouraged to do so transparently, by disclosing
that they are editing an article about themselves on the article's
talk page.

The problem with the current policy is that is is gradually expanding
into an umbrella that excludes whole classes of people from
participating in Wikipedia. Members of the U.S. Congress and their
staffs were banned (although they could easily circumvent the ban by
simply editing from their homes rather than their offices). Now we're
talking about restricting PR firms. It's easy to come up with other
classes of people who could also be restricted from editing on
similar grounds. What about lobbyists? Employees of think tanks?
Trade associations? Labor unions? Should Christian missionaries and
clergy be told not to edit articles about Christianity?

A restriction on editing "articles about yourself or your client" is
also a poor fit with the problem that the current policy is
attempting to solve, because some PR firms do work that is not about
their client but rather aimed at attacking their client's
COMPETITORS. One example that we wrote about recently involved a PR
firm which circulated a claim that Apple's video iPods were dangerous
to children because they could be used to download and view
pornography. The client in this case was Sony, which makes a rival
MP3 player. But how would you enforce a policy that says PR firms
working for Sony can't edit Wikipedia articles about Apple products?

Another recent example: the DCI Group, a PR firm whose clients
include Exxon, recently got caught anonymously circulating a video on
YouTube that mocked Al Gore's activism on global warming. Al Gore was
not their client, and the video didn't mention Exxon at all. But does
it make sense to have a policy that says employees of PR firms can't
edit articles about politicians?

Preventing this sort of thing from happening on Wikipedia would
require a policy that forbids people who work for PR firms not only
from editing articles about their clients, but also from editing
articles about any topics of potential interest to their clients. A
policy of this nature would be so vague that it would be a nightmare
to enforce -- especially since many PR firms do not disclose their
client lists.

On the other hand, a policy that requires PR firms to be transparent
about disclosing whenever they edit an article related to a client or
a client's interests, coupled with the restrictions that I outlined
above, would be reasonably enforceable. PR firms would be discouraged
from anonymous or POV editing by the strong possibility that they
would be identified and embarrassed for doing so.

--Sheldon Rampton