[WikiEN-l] Process is evil

Sam Korn smoddy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 21:43:38 UTC 2006

On 8/21/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> it's not as if *all* process is bad. It
> often really does serve a purpose. Maybe people need to think about
> the ramifications of not following any given process. If the
> ramifications are not bad, then the process could be scrapped, or
> downgraded to "howto" or something.

This is absolutely key.  Policy is normally right.  It has to be.
Otherwise it is bad policy.  If a policy *normally* gives the wrong
result, it is bad policy.  If it *sometimes* gives the bad result, it
is fallible policy.  And fallible, dear friends, is the best we're
going to get.

We must be very careful to avoid process/policy is evil.

--
Sam, who would be a policy wonk if all policy was perfect