[WikiEN-l] Question on citation policy

zero 0000 nought_0000 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 21 13:33:26 UTC 2006

Sorry if this is all spelt out on policy pages, but I can't find
it clearly enough.  I'm wondering how self-contained articles
need to be with regard to citations.

Take an example (but please answer on the principle and
not on the example).  Suppose an article has this:
   [[Babe Ruth]] hit 60 home runs in the 1927 season.

Now someone comes along and slaps a "citation required"
tag on it.  Someone else takes off the tag on the grounds
that the WP article on Babe Ruth is linked right there and
has copious citations that covers this fact.

Who is right?  We aren't supposed to use Wikipedia as a
source, but I always took that to mean that Wikipedia is
not an -ultimate- source for anything, not that a wikilink
can never be an adequate way to show where the source
for something can be found.

Zero.