[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia:Usurpation proposed policy

maru dubshinki marudubshinki at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 03:12:04 UTC 2006

[[Wikipedia:Usurpation]] is an extension of the user renaming process
I've proposed, to meet the need I saw [[Wikipedia:Changing
username/Requests to usurp|here]] (more than 54 requests, and it isn't
even policy!).  In a nutshell: "If an account has never been used for
anything, let someone else take that account's name."

It has all the appropriate formatting and stuff mentioned in
[[Wikipedia:How to create policy]] and it's been in proposal and
discussion since at least April now (and was batted around long before
I actually wrote the page); the overwhelming majority of the feedback
has been positive. And the comments which have been critical or
opposed generally are such because they believe that the "waiting
period" in which the account to be usurped is notified to be too short
- it should be longer than a month, should be a year/three months/etc.

In other words, I think consensus has for the most part been acheived,
and that the last niggling bit is the exact length of the waiting
period. We need more people to review it and settle on a time period,
then we can send it off to Jimbo or whatever the next step is.

I've also made a request at [[Wikipedia:Requests for
comment/Policies]] for more comments.

Thoughts? Comments? Expressions of effusive enthusiastic ecstatic enthusiasm?

~maru