[WikiEN-l] News.com: Teen's warning on the gospel of Wikipedia

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 15:37:40 UTC 2006

"The name Wikipedia comes from the Latin root "pedia," meaning "book
of arcane facts" and the ancient German root "wiki," meaning
"potentially altered by any idiot with Internet access." Actually,
Wikipedia combines the words "encyclopedia" and "wiki," a type of
software that facilitates online editing."

I have to admit, it made me laugh quite a bit.

It's a great article on the whole, I'm very impressed. Probably the
best one I've seen about the site. It manages to be completely
balanced and ultimately favorable without ever sounding either
evangelistic or scaremongering. And it is also very well written,
downright funny at times. Go figure that it would take a college
undergrad to write the first entirely reasonable article on Wikipedia.

FF