[WikiEN-l] Process is evil

Kelly Martin kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 14:58:14 UTC 2006

> Bollocks it does. This fallacious view seems to be held by many on AFD
> - where saying someone's deletion nomination was completely
> wrongheaded, misguided and stupid will get some idiot claiming that
> you have "assumed bad faith" of the nominator. No, I've assumed bad
> *judgement*, with the nomination as the evidence.

I recently said, on the Wiki: "I do not see how examining and
ultimately concluding that an offered opinion is meritless is in any
way a failure to assume good faith. I fully accept that a misguided
opinion can be offered in good faith; however, what matters is whether
the opinion has merit, not whether it is faithfully held."

This led to me being accused even more loudly of failing to assume
good faith.  Apparently "assume good faith" is now code for "speak not
ill of anyone, nor of their ideas, nor their contributions".

Wikipedia is not therapy.  Wikipedia does note exist for the purpose
of validating the feelings of our myriad contributors.  It is not our
responsibility to make everyone feel loved.

Kelly

Kelly