[WikiEN-l] Defamation policy

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Sun Aug 20 03:30:10 UTC 2006

G'day Anthony,

> On 8/19/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
>>Ok, so now we've moved from "I removed the bit where it claimed that
>>John Smith slept with Mrs Robinson" to "I removed this defamatory
>>claim - click here to see what it said".
>>
>>Materially, what's changed?
>
> I'd phrase it as "I removed a possibly defamatory claim because it was
> unsourced [link to diff]".  What's materially changed is that the
> claim is a bit more hidden, and probably more importantly, that the
> claim won't show up in a google search (as diff pages are under the
> robots exclusion).
>
> It's also just cleaner and easier (IMO).  Why copy/paste the claim
> when you can just link to it?

I don't say this to you often, Anthony, but: good show.  I think you've
hit the nail firmly on the head there.

Why *not* just explain what you've done and link to a diff?  Easier for
you, safer for us, for considerate for them.

--
"The theater management hears about our meeting and wants us to get
supplemental insurance that covers lightning-throwing death machines."