[WikiEN-l] Defamation policy hypothetical

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 12:45:37 UTC 2006

On 19/08/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> > respect to deletion, I cannot abide the suggestion that the community writ
> > large truly believe, legal/publicity concerns aside, that we ever ought to
> > concern ourselves with the external consequences of our editing.
>
> I do. For barely notable people, information in Wikipedia could have a
> disproportionate effect on their life. We should be aware of that, and
> behave accordingly.

Incidentally, one of the arguments occasionally surfacing wrt
notability is "if the Wikipedia article is going to help make this
organisation famous, they're not notable"

Perhaps a corrolary is "if the Wikipedia article can significantly
influence its subject compared to anything else written about them,
should we have it?"

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk