[WikiEN-l] Defamation policy hypothetical

Sam Korn smoddy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 23:30:30 UTC 2006

On 8/18/06, jahiegel <jahiegel at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Sam's comments surely invite the question around which, relative to BLP, we
> often dance: ought ethical or moral impulses ever to affect our editing?

I'd argue that the only reasons I edit Wikipedia are ethical and
moral, so a resounding yes :-)

> Consider a situation in which unsourced criticism appears in a biography.
> Assume arguendo that we can be certain that the subject will not essay a
> legal claim against the Foundation and that we can be relatively certain
> that bad press will not entail (an issue that, for the purposes of this
> discussion, we set aside in any case).  Should, then, we treat that
> unsourced negativity in a fashion different from that in which we'd treat
> unsourced comments in, to pick the first three random articles I find,
> [[Mancor de la Vall]], [[Sherston Software]], or [[Danzig III: How the Gods
> Kill]]?

Ideally, no, we should not.  Ideally, we apply WP:V and WP:NPOV
equally to every edit.  What's more, we'd ideally apply WP:AGF equally
to every edit.  *However*, living people are significantly different
to your example by the very fact that people are more likely to insert
damaging and embarassing "facts" about them than about your examples.
>From a purely pragmatic approach, it is not difficult to see that
articles concerning living individuals are a high target for vandals
and thus need to be scrutinised especially carefully.

> Concerns w/r/to prospective legal liability and bad press aside (which
> concerns can be, I think, persuasively allayed), a certain "do no harm"
> motivation tends to underline BLP.  In view of the failure to command a
> consensus of either [[Wikipedia:Wikiethics]] or [[WP:NOT EVIL]], and of the
> disfavoring by the community of Jimbo's "human dignity" formulation with
> respect to deletion, I cannot abide the suggestion that the community writ
> large truly believe, legal/publicity concerns aside, that we ever ought to
> concern ourselves with the external consequences of our editing.

I have outlined my pragmatic reasoning for taking special
considerations above.  I also feel there is a very powerful moral
argument.

We don't ask people if they want a Wikipedia biography about them.
They have no say in the matter (ask, for example, Daniel Brandt or
Angela).  They get them, like it or not.  I believe that, in writing
articles about them, we have a duty to get our facts right.  This
applies across the encyclopaedia for the sake of editors, but
especially on articles about living people for the sake of the
subjects themselves.

> Such consideration is plainly, IMHO, unencyclopedic; not only ought we to
> edit with dispassion (NPOV), but so too ought we to edit with disinterest,
> such that we ought not to care whether the Googling of a biographical
> subject returns results that contain inaccurate and defamatory material (I,
> fof course, cannot comprehend why any individual editor, in view of
> other-than-project-related concerns, would ever care).
>
> To say that BLP is necessary because, even as it may infrequently forcelose
> an editor's adding encyclopedic information, it prevents the project from
> incurring costs related to defending the Foundation against legal action or
> helps the project to avoid bad publicity, from which might follow the
> departure of editors, the departure of readers, and/or the departure of
> donors, is one thing; to say that the moral concerns of editors, legal/bad
> publicity concerns notwithstanding, is quite another.
>
> Cordially,
>

> Joe
> [[User:Jahiegel]]

Sam