[WikiEN-l] CITE nazis

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 18:40:12 UTC 2006

On 8/17/06, Mark Gallagher <m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au> wrote:
> The cruft (and I *do* mean cruft) that fills many policy pages,
> including for a time [[WP:IAR]][0], is not the sort of reasoning I mean.
>  It's not "this is why we made this rule".  It is instead, "here's some
> musings on how I'd interpret the exact wording of the rule, combined
> with the musings of a dozen other people, all of whom wouldn't give a
> rats about the real reasoning here but have conflicting views about what
> the best loopholes are".

Yeah you're probably right about all this. Most of the "cruft" is
probably written by the half-clueful. Those who are grasping to
understand what the policy is really about, and have to put it in more
concrete terms, which may not really be true in all instances.

Though I don't really know how to bridge the gap from a purely
abstract ideal like "verifiability" to a useful set of guidelines,
without coming up with bullshit rules like "don't quote from blogs".

Steve