[WikiEN-l] CITE nazis

stevertigo vertigosteve at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 17 16:13:05 UTC 2006

--- Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:

> The one [case] that is absolutely imperative for all editors is to recognize
> that "If this claim would be libellous if false, it is absolutely not
> acceptable to simply put a 'citation needed' tag and hope for the best."
> It is extremely painful to see those.  "Lord John Doe was a porn star in
> 1943. <citation needed>"  In such cases, being a citation nazi is the
> right thing to do.

1) I dont think anybody can disagree with this, but its important to recognise
that not everyone *can* tell the difference, (just as with images - see "fakes"
thread above) and yet such people may be quite capable in other areas. Its not
useful to think of it as an epidemic, but as a limited skillset.

2) Another dimension to this is ease of editing. (!) Wiki through web page forms
is probably somewhat cumbersome for casual readers who are capable but not active.
(Lazy bums, yes). Iv'e got some ideas for how to deal with that, but thats for a
different list which I dont really read anyway.

-SV