[WikiEN-l] CITE nazis

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 15:49:03 UTC 2006

On 16/08/06, Dabljuh <dabljuh at gmx.net> wrote:

> But I *promise* you that you won't ever find a good solution for
> shit like libanon-israel or circumcision or - you name it - without
> making signed forks, where different (sets of) people can write
> multiple coherent articles about the same thing, instead of
> forcing everybody to mess with the same one.

Yeah, but I'm entirely unconvinced the result, even in the
pathological cases, would be better for the reader. The previous
example you gave - anti-circumcision activism - was dealt with not by
forking the articles, but by dealing with the problem editors. Since
they were the problem. Editors who can't cope with having to work
effectively with people of a different POV really shouldn't be editing
while they can't cope with it.

In cases like Israel-Palestine, the article conflict won't be solved
unless and until the real-world conflict is solved, and even then.
Probably it needs a permanent "current event" tag ;-)

I'm really not convinced that examples like this warrant throwing away
NPOV. I really think NPOV is Wikipedia's secret sauce. Not just the
wiki editing model - NPOV is the radically new thing Wikpedia does in
terms of the actual content.

- d.