[WikiEN-l] Ignoring AfD results / Redirection and deletion

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 14:33:45 UTC 2006

On 8/15/06, Mark Ryan <ultrablue at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> Surely the opposite can also be said of a "keep" consensus AfD: most
> of the voters plainly want the article to continue to exist as an
> article, not as a redirect and not deleted.

I haven't looked at the articles in question, so perhaps I'm off the
mark in this case...  But if people aren't willing to put some skin in
their participation then there isn't much cause for us to heed their
view.  If the article is in terrible need of cleanup and none of the
people arguing to keep it are willing to do the *work*, then I don't
see a problem with someone else coming by and cleaning it up by
merging it.  (And yes, sometimes the best merge adds nothing to the
merge target)...

In any case, redirecting it isn't ignoring the AfD... we consider
'merge and redirect' to be equal to 'keep' in an AfD.  Perhaps doing
so is incorrect because we really should be discussing the existence
of an article at that name, but that is what is done today.