[WikiEN-l] CITE nazis

Daniel P. B. Smith wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com
Tue Aug 15 01:10:22 UTC 2006

> From: "MacGyverMagic/Mgm" <macgyvermagic at gmail.com>
>
> I think it's only deletionist when you delete such claims that
> could be true
> instead of giving people the chance to verify it. Only when you can
> falsify
> it, it can be removed.

Once a "citation needed" tag is in place, there's no need to do
anything in a hurry. The reader is adequately warned, other editors
are informed.

Depending on the situation, I will usually let them sit for a week to
several months. I'll usually make at least a quick, half-assed effort
to find a source myself before removing it. And when I do remove it,
I don't just delete it, I put it on the talk page.

Not infrequently, someone will find a source and take it out of the
talk page and put it back in the article. I love it when that happens.

The people I don't understand are the people who object to the tag
being placed in the first place. I'd be all in favor of trying to
find a less obtrusive tag, but, yes, I sometimes think the people who
complain about "citation needed" tags are using it as a mask for
opposition to the verifiability policy itself.