[WikiEN-l] CITE nazis

stevertigo vertigosteve at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 14 18:56:02 UTC 2006

--- David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> No indeed it doesn't, and you should always warm the pot when making tea.
> (i.e. I have no idea how your comment follows from what I wrote.)

I was keeping it brief for sake of sheer artistic wonder, though I perhaps
should have acknowledged your agreement with my general criticism.
Sorry about that.

> e.g. the War on Blogs, wherein some editors have got it into their
> heads that ALL BLOGS ARE EVIL AND MUST NEVER BE USED IN REFERENCES
> rather than e.g. regarding them as, say, lesser sources than
> peer-reviewed academic papers and assuming the reader can read. The
> response to crap sources is to say "those are crap sources, cut it
> out" rather than countering foolishness with foolishness.

There is a fundamental difference between quoting a source and quoting
an interpretation, although, granted, all sources can be regarded as
interpretations. Thus there is some value judgement going on with regard
to whats what which effects how an article is presented.

> On non-contentious topics, the right way to do it would be to shift it
> to the talk page for discussion and an attempt at sourcing, e.g. the
> stuff on the early [[Casio Exilim]]s being crap in low light is
> observed by a pile of Exilim owners (e.g. me) but I can't find a good
> source - so out it goes as original research, but it's on the talk
> page should I or someone find something verifiable showing this to be
> an issue.

Right, if I write some thing of value the last thing I need to
is to have it reverted wholesale, and done so in a way that violates
real policy like NPOV and CIVIL (before I can even correct it
or spellcheck it no less), based on some buncombe claim to CITE, V,
NOR, etc. I hear you David.

> On contentious topics, there is good reason to be hard-arsed about
> sources. But that doesn't mean you go overboard and legalistic because
> someone who hates blogs edit-warred that wording into WP:V.

This is an interesting point, in that we can criticise particular
aspects of policies as being naziesque.
That is a beginning, as Pai Mei once said.

-Stevertigo