[WikiEN-l] Are TV screencaps reputable sources?

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sun Aug 13 04:06:25 UTC 2006

jayjg wrote:
> On 8/12/06, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>> I seriously question the notion that using material from the original
>> movie or book is original research.
>
> I don't see how you possibly could question it; it's clear as day (see
> above). Where have the screencaps in question been published?

On TV. In the case of Star Trek in particular they've also been
published on DVD.

>> The original research was done by
>> the author of the book.
>
> That's right, and he's allowed to. Scientists, researchers, authors,
> newspaper reporters - they all do original research.  We don't, we use
> the material the have published in reliable sources instead.

NOR explicitly allows the use of primary sources, which as far as I can
tell a broadcast or DVD showing of a television episode is.

The "is a TV episode a primary source?" debate was in full swing back
when I left on vacation a couple weeks ago, good to see it wasn't
resolved behind my back. :)