[WikiEN-l] "Wikipedia Empire Based on Open Source Worst Practices?"

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 16:16:53 UTC 2006

> But there are some vague notions of *lots* of alternate Wikipedia
> distributions (rather than "forks"), analogous to Linux distributions.
> This bit seems like an interesting idea, but I'm not quite sure how
> one would approach it. Categories as packages? (like an .rpm or a .deb
> .) Is there something here that's the seed of a useful idea?
>

> - d.

Yes and no. Full forks are pretty much imposible. Maintianing
something the size if wikipedia is going to be beyond the rescources
of a group just starting out and the momentum from the existing
articles is going to prevent rapid chages. What forks there are  will
cover narrow subject areas. For those that want a different POV they
will have to start from scratch. This already happens.
--
geni