[WikiEN-l] "Wikipedia Empire Based on Open Source Worst Practices?"

Gareth Hughes ([[User:Garzo]]) garzohugo+wiki at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 23:45:12 UTC 2006

There are a few good points in the blog (let's not call it an essay!).
I particularly like the description of Wikipedia as a 'semi-anarchic
feudal state'. Perhaps we should put that on a banner somewhere — your
fiefdom or mine? The comparison of Wikipedia with Linux distributions
is a bit misplaced. The main objection to this approach is that,
simply put, they are very different beasties. One has to do with facts
and information, the other has to do with software programmes. How
would we modularise the article on [[cactus]]? Extracting anything
more useful from this is dasht difficult.

— Gareth Hughes ([[User:Garzo]])