[WikiEN-l] Invited by admin to leave en if concerned about free reusability

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 21:54:44 UTC 2006

> Let's read and quote what it actually says there, shall we?
>
> "If you're here to do other things than make the best possible free
> encyclopedia, then -- to borrow a nauseatingly common theme from the
> other side's advocates -- the door's right over there."
>
> I think every word of that is the case and needs to be drummed into
> people's heads, myself.
[snip]

Tisk tisk David, have you forgotten that context counts.

In the cited thread the argument is made that we can not accept a
proliferation of unlicensed content merely because by violating
copyright we can obtain a temporary increase in article quality.

The quoted diff is making the counter argument that being a high
quality encyclopedia is all that counts and that being perpetually
free for all applications isn't a goal of the project.

If there is anything highlighted here that needs to be drummed into
anyone's head it is that the importance of free content in our mission
is no less than the importance of being a quality encyclopedia.

I hope that this is just a case of you failing to read before running
your mouth.