[WikiEN-l] Challenge: explain NPOV in a sentence.

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 18:07:15 UTC 2006

On 8/7/06, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at ctelco.net> wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2006, at 6:30 AM, David Gerard wrote:
>
> > I'm sorely lacking in snappy quotes, though. I ask your assistance:
> > Explain NPOV in a sentence.
>
> Amazing that an arbitrator would not be familiar with this:
>
> [[Wikipedia:Neutral point of view]] contemplates inclusion of all
> significant points of view regarding a subject.

I'd add one more sentence on there, something like, "Wikipedia does
not attempt to describe truth itself, but rather to represent the
truth as regarded by relevant experts." Except snappier. I think
that's a key part of the epistemological position Wikipedia takes --
we shove off the hard issue of "truth" onto others. (In this respect
the line between NPOV and NOR is pretty blurry.)

FF