[WikiEN-l] In 2006, Wikipedia started to exist (according to the world of Britannica)

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 07:45:20 UTC 2006

On 8/6/06, Mathias Schindler <mathias.schindler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I just came across http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9433599, which
> is the lead section of the Encyclopaedia Britannica article about
> wikipedia. There is also one about wikis in general:
> http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9404276.

Heh, funny. This opening description is interesting: "...encyclopaedia
operating under an open-source management style...uses a collaborative
software known as wiki that facilitates the creation and development
of articles." What an interesting idea to describe our "management
style" as "open-source" and to relegate the role of the wiki as just
"facilitating" article creation and development. Is this the prejudice
of a "traditional" encyclopaedia which has rigid management
structures, and sees that as the most striking difference?

Pity I don't have the whole thing to read. It would be interesting to
compare four articles: WP on WP, WP on EB, EB on WP and EB on EB. How
do we each do for our biases? Do our biases line up as expected - that
EB has a much lower opinion of us, than we do of them?

Steve