[WikiEN-l] In 2006, Wikipedia started to exist (according to the world of Britannica)

Mathias Schindler mathias.schindler at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 06:44:40 UTC 2006

Hey,

I just came across http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9433599, which
is the lead section of the Encyclopaedia Britannica article about
wikipedia. There is also one about wikis in general:
http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9404276.

These articles appear to be taken from the current revision of the EB
itself, not the yearbook or any other of these sources (on this web
site, you can never be sure).

EB is now the second (or third, depending on how you count)
encyclopedia to mention wikipedia. The Columbia Encyclopedia has one
and the 21st edition of the Brockhaus encyclopedia (in German).

I don't have full access to the EB article from here and I am very
curious about its accuracy :)

Fun fact: Last time I checked, Brockhaus refused to call Wikipedia an
encyclopedia.

Mathias