[WikiEN-l] Colbert Report heads-up

ScottL scott at mu.org
Fri Aug 4 07:15:25 UTC 2006

Cheney Shill wrote:
> Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:The only real difference between satire and trolling is whether or not
> you get the joke!  Of course the word "trolling" has basically become
> meaningless at this point.  People use the term for basically anything
> and everything.
>
> Anthony
>

> No, trolling is to illicit a response, preferably an extended, irate one.  Satire, as you may be aware, has a long history in non-interactive media, such as books.
>
> If wikiality hasn't disrupted it, I'm sure wikipedia's entry for each can help you better understand both and their distinctions.

   You are mostly right but there is a very large amount of "Trolling"
hat goes on which is quite obviously a joke.  In this case the troll is
really only going after the users who are either too easily agitated to
read carefully or just plane dumb.  In that instance it really is a
matter of "getting the joke".

Dalf