[WikiEN-l] Technical solution to bad fair use

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Thu Aug 3 22:46:58 UTC 2006

Fastfission wrote:

>But even without a centralized credit facility we could make it easy
>for photographers to quickly set up Flickr-like user pages for
>themselves where they would have their contact information, a link to
>their web page, and a list of all free photos they've uploaded to
>Wikipedia and what articles they are used in. If we set up easy-to-use
>templates for this it might make it look even more attractive. We
>could remind them how high a pagerank Wikipedia has, and that their
>photograph would be used in an article which showed up on the first
>Google search page in most cases.

This fits perfectly into commons' architecture, and indeed several
professionals already have their own dedicated galleries and/or
categories there.

What would be a good attention-getting conduit? Used to be, you
could get the attention of lots of nerds by just spa^H^H^Hposting
to Usenet. What do photographers look at?

I wonder if a classified-type ad in a print magazine would be noticed...

Stan