[WikiEN-l] Fair use status of animated screencaps

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 14:21:28 UTC 2006

On 7/29/06, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this depends upon whether moving images (videos clips) are
> available under fair use. Does anyone know the specifics?

They should only be used where the animation is absolutely required
for the purposes of the article. If every frame of the animation (or a
high number of them) is necessary for the article, then it probably
makes sense to just have the animation rather than have 7 fair use
screen shots.

I don't think we have a special category for animated fair use; it is
probably best that we don't, since they really should be rare
exceptions.

The one place where this is often violated is in little animated GIFs
of video game characters. I'm not sure that's a big issue, though.

FF