[WikiEN-l] Newsgroups

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 22:53:57 UTC 2006

On 02/08/06, Brian Salter-Duke <b_duke at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> I do not agree, but you have to use the digest sensibly. I download them
> using fetchmail with pop3. I read mail with mutt. When I see a digest, I
> hit control S and the digest message is piped through a script called
> metamutt that opens a separate mutt temporay folder with all the
> messages split out from the digest. I can then skip through these, exit
> back the main folder and delete the digest. If I want to keep a message
> I just save it from the temp folder to a main folder. Download is
> easier and reading them is clearer. I almost always subscribe to lists
> via the digest mode. The only negatives is the delay in getting messages
> and a bug that means I have to save a message to a main folder before
> replying.
>
> Brian

I find that the Gmail interface, and the way it works, is great for
mailing lists. Conversations are sensibly stacked making things very
easy to read. Labels are easily added to conversations and archiving
gets everything out of the way.

Plus, you can search the whole collection.
--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)