[WikiEN-l] Newsgroups

Brian Salter-Duke b_duke at bigpond.net.au
Wed Aug 2 21:47:08 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 02:38:58PM +0100, Timwi wrote:
> John Lyden wrote:
> >
> >>Why, praytell, are you using digests???
> >
> >Some people just don't LIKE volumes of mail being dumped in their inbox.
>
> Am I really the only person in the whole world that uses the
> newsgroups?... I keep seeing this false dilemma fallacy, and nobody ever
> responds to it to set it straight.
>
> Digests are the absolutely dumbest and worst imaginable way to solve the
> "volumes of mail" problem.

I do not agree, but you have to use the digest sensibly. I download them
using fetchmail with pop3. I read mail with mutt. When I see a digest, I
hit control S and the digest message is piped through a script called
metamutt that opens a separate mutt temporay folder with all the
messages split out from the digest. I can then skip through these, exit
back the main folder and delete the digest. If I want to keep a message
I just save it from the temp folder to a main folder. Download is
easier and reading them is clearer. I almost always subscribe to lists
via the digest mode. The only negatives is the delay in getting messages
and a bug that means I have to save a message to a main folder before
replying.

Brian

          Brian Salter-Duke            b_duke at bigpond.net.au
               [[User:Bduke]]  mainly on en:Wikipedia.
 Also on fr: Wikipedia, Meta-Wiki, WikiNews, WikiBooks and Commons